A Brief History of Nettleton|
Incorporated in 1888, Nettleton was named after George Henry Nettleton, then president of the Kansas City, Memphis & Birmingham
Railroad (later Frisco, then Burlington Northern, and now Burlington Northern-Santa Fe). Mr. Nettleton was an instrumental leader in the founding of the city.
The early prosperity of the city began with the railroad, but while many communities have dwindled with its passing, Nettleton has continued to thrive.
Nettleton's earliest industry was the hardwood business. Nettleton Hardwood Company opened in 1890 and shipped hardwood via the railroad to every state in the nation, and large quantities to international markets. The best timber was exhausted in less than ten years and the company moved their mill to Columbus.
Nettleton continued as a farming community
and slowly transformed into a small city through the development of the railroad and the construction of Mississippi Highway 6.
Today, both U.S. Highway 45 and Mississippi 6 pass
through Nettleton. The city's commercial growth occurred along the highways, industrial growth took place along the railroad and residential growth filled the interior of the city.
In the 1950s the residents of Nettleton chose not to elect public officials and the State of Mississippi rescinded Nettleton's charter. In 1964 the city was reincorporated so the community could receive state funding for a medical clinic.
The City of Nettleton is a Code Charter Municipality.
The Friends of the Dorothy
J. Lowe Memorial Library
Friends of Nettleton
Community Development &
2017 Nettleton Boys & Girls
Summer Youth Registration
The City of
Nettleton • 124 Short Avenue •
Nettleton, Mississippi 38858